8.23.2009

Fourteen + 1 = Fabulous


I love John Brinegar's (Ravelry link) designs! I had been looking for a short, close-fitting “scarflette” for a while, but the second I saw “Fourteen” on his website, Yarn Ball Boogie, I knew it was the one I wanted to make and immediately placed it in my queue on Ravelry. I did make a couple of changes. First, I casted on 15 stitches instead of 14 (hence the name). I also did the brioche stitch differently that John describes in the pattern. My version of the brioche stitch can be found here. After making the scarf the appropriate length to wrap around my big ‘o neck, I switched to garter stitch for approximately 6 rows then did EZ’s three-row buttonhole utilizing the middle 3 stitches of the row. I finished with 6 more rows of garter stitch before casting off knit wise on the right side. I found a beautiful pearlized 1 3/8” shell button in my stash of accouterment I initially purchased with the intent of using as a shawl closure, but decided it fit this project beautifully. Actually, the button cost 3 times more than the skein of yarn originally did! The yarn (Lion Brand Wool-Ease, Thick & Quick) was left over from my sister-in-law’s short chic cardi, and is a deep cranberry despite it coming out fuchsia in the photos. Sorry, I suck at photography! I’m very happy with the result of this piece and it was an immediate gratification project, providing me a break from my more involved knitting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog