3.30.2011

Why do you knit?

-Alexander Pope,
An Essay on Man, Epistle I, 1733

Hope springs eternal in the human breast;
Man never Is, but always To be blest:
The soul, uneasy and confin'd from home,
Rests and expatiates in a life to come.

Pope so eloquently expresses my reason for loving Spring; not necessarily for the intensifying sun nor the budding landscape, but for the renewal of hope. The hope to know better. The hope to do better. Shall we not hope to KNIT better? I certainly don't mean honing skill. That gift will come completely involuntarily and without condition as long as you keep at it. The "better" of which I speak will take on different implications for different knitters.

Have you ever asked yourself why you knit? It can be a formidable thought, but I think one worth exploring. I began knitting and crocheting for stress relief—a respite from intense studies while obtaining my undergraduate degree in nursing. My knitting has served as a coping mechanism for grief and loss, an escape from chores, stress relief and entertainment. Now, more than ever, knitting serves as a conduit for my creativity. No matter what your reason for knitting, which surely will be numerous and diverse, I hope you always allow for some peaceful time to knit your favorite fiber, with your favorite needles in your favorite chair to internally expatiate your spring of hope. Happy knitting!
click to enlarge

Knit Picks Swish DK - Eggplant
US 8, No Modifications
Ravelry Link










No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog